Sunday, March 14, 2010

A Picture is Worth A Thousand Words (a song has a bunch of 'em in it)

"Abstract Art: A product of the untalented, sold by the unprincipled to the utterly bewildered."
-- Albert Camus

I tend to agree with 'ol Al there. Dali makes me want to puke in my mouth. Picasso seems obnoxious to me, and not in a "it stirs my unconscious so deeeeply" kinda way. But sometimes I get confused. Hey: I like what I like....


I've struggled my entire adult life to understand almost all visual art. I've been told what I should see in specific pieces, asked what I think of others, and been given primers and maps to categorize the rest. If I didn't get it (read: didn't like it, wasn't moved by it), then why would I care after I've read about it or been told about it's place in our fictional collective history? Is anything worth, well, anything, if it has to be defined in relation to something else? If it can't stand alone then should it have to be bolstered by things like it's time in history, it's place in a movement, or by the works of others?

Now don't get me wrong, I may not have graduated from high school and may have gotten a strange BA from a now defunct school, but I'm not a luddite entirely. Mama didn't raise no fool. I love photographs and have been moved by many of them (though I can't seem to create any worth the price of processing myself). When I see Goya's human violence and obsession it is never lost on me. Neither are Bosch's landscapes of cruelty and horror painted against fever dream visions of a fluid paradise. Occasionally even something more modern makes it's way into my memory. Lucian Freud's "Double Portrait" and "Girl With a White Dog" are sinister and alluring, full of both beauty and pathos. It doesn't hurt that he is Sigmund's nephew, either, or that, as the Screamin' Jay Hawkins of the art world, is rumored to have sired over 40 illegitimate children.

My cousin, the immensely talented artist Charlie Buckley, once posited to me that, "Beauty is truth and truth is beauty". As much as I trust and adore my dear cousin, I only find the second half of that statement palatable. Incidentally I've asked him to write a post here to expound on the idea more fully (and in relation to music) because I could be misunderstanding his meaning (after all, he holds the MFA...). But still, "Beauty is truth" sounds too much to me like Plato's assertion from The Symposium: "The true .... is to begin from the beauties of earth and mount upwards for the sake of that other beauty, using these steps only, and from one going on to two ... until from fair notions he arrives at the notion of absolute beauty, and at last knows what the essence of beauty is". Plato's belief that there is such a thing as absolute beauty (God's objective beauty) is ridiculous.

Unless you are certain there is a God - and if you are, might I meet 'em? - then what might a human illuminate about a God he claims to know but who's mailing address they keep misplacing (much less a reliable cell phone number, which would certainly begin with 662 or 601). Even for those of us who try to believe in something, we can't be sure. We can definitely never be sure of God's intent, lest we paint ourselves in God's image. I'll stop now before I'm pegged as an inquisitor or an all-knowing being. But you get the idea (of my idea, anyway) right? "Perfect" has no reference point in this world and neither does God, whether God exists or not. If this is true (and it is), then no work of art (be it visual or musical or a signed urinal) can do anything more than illuminate the human heart and the condition of man (and ladies, don't forget the ladies). Anything that strives to or claims to approximate divine vision (except for William Blake and a handful of others) is necessarily vacant. As Andre Malraux said of Goya, "He revealed his genius from the moment he had the courage to stop trying to please. His loneliness cuts right across the chatter of his epoch.".

So, if beauty has no mooring in this world then beauty really is "in the eye of the beholder". Of course, the beholder and their eye may both be ugly. They could even have an eyepatch and a crazy cane. Or a glass eye they can magically see through. Your decision. Mine too, please don't leave me out..... The battlegrounds of "taste" are too wrought with fun and awesomenesss to be passed over. Maybe our judgments of the hard rawk loving meathead aren't founded in anything outside of "taste", but that's enough to make for a damn good time!

As if I hadn't said too much, rambled on for too long, and not mentioned Dylan even once(!), I am continuing. Not by writing more useless shite, but by pairing paintings and songs. Just three. You'll make it. Welcome to "Rock and Roll Art History 666", students. Take a seat and get out your #2 pencil and college ruled notebook, please.....

NUMBER 1:

Hieronymous Bosch
Ship of Fools
and
Aretha Franklin
Chain of Fools





NUMBER 2:
Francisco de Goya
Third of May
and
The Rolling Stones
Street Fighting Man





NUMBER 3:

Rene Magritte
(see, there are exceptions!)
#21 Golconda
and
The Afghan Whigs
Gentlemen





--John Murry

10 comments:

  1. Definitely your best blog thus far. Or at least the one I found the most interesting. I already have a few bones of contention, as well as a few Hell Yeahs, but I need to go brush up on a couple things and then find a free hour. But I knew you couldn't go the whole way without mentioning Dylan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Daniel, and I'm looking forward to hearing back about the agrees/disagrees equally. Does it count as a Dylan mention? Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't stop. Keep rolling those words down the hill like hot turds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought beauty was in the eye of the beholder? It is the only explanation I can come up with for people living in Oklahoma. I shall remain anonymous due solely to my ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ignorance is no excuse! In fact, only those of us who are idiots ought speak! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I agree. Also about living in Oklahoma.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really don't understand why some people always want to marry truth to beauty. Where is their inherent connection? I mean I'm somewhat familiar with various philosophical conversations that have tried to link them, and maybe that's it right there. Christianity certainlly has an obvious tradition of doing so as well, but of course that was long after the ancient Greeks. It's like they think neither can survive on the sake of it's own importance alone. In fact, I can think of so many examples where the two, to me, seem to exist without each other that I have to wonder why anyone thought to relate them in the first place. Just a quick thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John, check out Leonora Carrington's paintings. As for beauty being truth, truth being beauty- it's such a problematic equation with no remotely 'commonly agreed-upon' definitions for either word...

    "Truth, like light, blinds. Falsehood, on the contrary, is a beautiful twilight that enhances every object."
    Albert Camus

    As for me, I don't look for truth since it is my mind that invents what I know/see/observe anyway. I look for new corridors in my mind. What IS true and/or beautiful? Those ideas are arbitrary brackets for the sake of making categories. Can a painting help you find a new corridor in your mind? Excellent! Then I like it.


    ---KLC
    Just one drink. Just one more. And then another. George Jones

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss Cain:
    In the almighty's immortal words, "All the truth in the world adds up to one big lie". You are right, of course. Truth and beauty are arbitrary. But given that the words even exist suggests (commands?) that they be fought for (and fought over). The idea of the two insist that we fight, not only within ourselves but amongst ourselves as well, in hopes of both defending them and defining them. Subjectivity is a mother fucker. Too bad it's real. American existentialism is simple freedom. True existentialism is the weight of freedom; the full knowledge that we are acting alone and by our own volition and that we can never understand our actions in real-time. It's like peering through the back windshield of a car in motion trying to figure out where we've been and where we are going, knowing at the same time that we have both hands on the steering wheel. Don Quixote didn't tilt against windmills because he was a madman. He fought them because they were evil. I will check out Leonora Carrington's work, thanks for the recommendation. And I will certainly see you soonish, ma'am.
    --John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Daniel:
    Check out Augustine of Hippo and Thomas Aquinas. You are exactly right, I think. Both influenced the church deeply by marrying greek thought to Christianity. But I wonder if objective truth exists at all, alone or otherwise. Do you believe it can?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know Aquinas somewhat, but I've only read him when referred back to him by other philosophers. I guess that's the best/worst thing about self-educating; you only have to read the things you like. As for objective truth, I can only muse. I will decide for sure the first time I encounter a situation in which it is actually important to know. I am also unsure whether or not those exist. I am going to send you some stuff pertaining to this that I really enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete